The EU has an ambitious agenda in the field of ambient air policy, which directly affects the European lime industry. Regulatory initiatives include:
- The Industrial Emissions Directive
- Lime production fall within the scope of the Industrial Emissions Directive (IED). This directive replaces the Directive on Integrated Pollution Prevention and Control (IPPC), and introduces new conditions for obtaining an environmental permit to operate. EuLA, together with IMA Europe, takes part in the discussions on reference documents with best available techniques (BREFs) which are developed in the framework of the IED under the lead of the European IPPC Bureau.
- The National Emissions Ceiling Directive
- The Air Quality Directive
- The Clean Air Policy Package, published 18 December 2013